- Category Susan Watson, RD
Why are we waging a war on wheat?
CBC news interviewed Winnipeg dietitian Susan Watson on so many people are going against the grain. Check out the full article here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/why-are-we-waging-a-war-on-wheat-1.1229404
To download a printable copy, click here >>> why-are-we-waging-a-war-on-wheat-health-cbc-news<<<
The question that was seeking to be answered was ‘Is going GF a trend or are we becoming more sick because of gluten in our diets?”
Here is a link to the article that I was interviewed in: Why are we waging a war on wheat? By Andre Mayer.
I think there is a lot of confusion about going gluten free…and I think that there is a perceived health benefit by consuming gluten free food products…but there are the facts that need to be considered:
1. A gluten free diet is prescribed to 3 different health conditions, and unless you have one of the following health conditions, going gluten free isn’t indicated to be a health benefit.
- Gluten allergy
- Gluten sensitivity/intolerant
2. Gluten free “products” are not always healthier.
A lot of gluten free food products are highly refined, stripped of fibre, and most often high in sugar.
Gluten free cookies, pretzels covered in chocolate, brownies, pizza, corn pops type cereal,
3. Gluten free for weight loss?
Here is a link to another article written by a registered dietitian discussing the same topic.