Shredded Chicken with Veggies & Rice
This recipe is part of my slow cooker shredded chicken series. This is also a great recipe for using leftover
Watch the video on how to make this dish here:
The time save tip for this recipe is to use cooked chicken and cooked pasta that you would have prepped at an earlier time. I like to throw 5-6 raw chicken breasts into a slow cooker with a splash of water and cook on high for 4-5 hours. Once it is done, then I shred it and put it into the freezer or store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tbsp of minced garlic
- 4 cups of cooked rice
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast meat
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- Heat oil in a large deep frying pan over medium heat high heat.
- Add onions, celery and garlic and cook until onions are transparent and garlic starts to brown.
- Then add in the frozen vegetables. Cook until they thaw.
- Add in cooked chicken, cooked rice, chicken broth and spices. Stir. Cook for 5 mins or until liquid has evaporated.
- Serve, or store in the fridge and heat up later.
- Add more celery and more veggies if you like more crunch!
If you are looking for more meal ideas like this one, or want help with meal planning, book an appointment with one of our meal planning expert registered dietitians.